Re: Re: Re: Re: F Tuba Timbre

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry Z. on June 14, 2003 at 11:55:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: F Tuba Timbre posted by D.Graves on June 14, 2003 at 10:18:48:

My sense is (I was not actually around during this period of time, mind you...) that there really has not been any kind of F tuba "tradition" in America, at least not in the sense of the tradition of big (and other sized) piston tubas that were ubiquitous in school systems, and concert bands in general, since the beginning of the century (LAST century, that is).

My impression is that the American "popular" musical tradition at the turn of the century, was more based on concert bands (using Sousa as a model), not symphony orchestras. As we all know concert bands can use up to 6-7 tubas, whereas the symphony only requires 1 (if that many!). It seems that the F tuba, being used mostly in the symphony hall, would not be in as great a demand as the (many) contrabasses (Eb tubas, as well) needed for the concert bands. The American manufacturers needed to produce many more contrabass, and Eb tubas for the concert band movement, creating a "tradition" of piston tubas, that is identified as American.

Follow Ups: