comments about the Harold Brasch CD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art H on June 15, 2003 at 08:45:30:

I just purchased a copy of the "Euphonium Artistry" CD that has been appearing in the tuba section of Ebay. By today's standards one could only describe the sound quality as ranging from fair to poor. The material is nothing but old-fashioned theme-and-variation type solos, but the artistry shines through! Somehow "Endearing Young Charms" has been changed to "Enduring" on the label, but perhaps that was intentional. I think it is important for all euphonium players (euphonists?) to be aware of Mr. Brasch and his contributions, which have indeed endured. He is the guy who introduced british-style compensating euphoniums to the USA.
When I was still in high school and Mr. Brasch had just retired from the Navy Band my father had him come out to Long Island to perform as soloist with our "no-doubt famous Monday Night Band". Mr. Brasch had dinner at our house before the concert, as was the custom. Then we went to the school and my father saw to it that I sat quietly and listened to Mr. Brasch warm up. That's where I learned what a euphonium should sound like.
I recommend that you bid on this CD the next time it appears on auction. Whenever you meet young hotshot euphonium players who have never heard of Mr. Brasch, lay it on them.

Follow Ups: