Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mitch Spray on June 18, 2003 at 11:57:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military posted by Chuck Jackson on June 17, 2003 at 23:27:41:

Chuck, That is what it boils down to for me. I really like the sound that comes out of my horn. I like hearing it enough that I did it with pride every time that I played, even on the really uncomfortable jobs. I cared about the way I played especially when I was playing into the ear of one of my section mates. It mattered what I sounded like and I cared about what they heard coming out of my bell. I would like to think that everyone I work with has the same desire but I guess that is an idealistic expectation.
Years ago I was visiting with my former teacher from college and I was singing the blues just a bit. He straightened me out right away by asking "what is your problem? You are playing the trombone aren't you? Isn't that what you wanted to do?" I have tried to remember that ever since.
There are ups and downs in every job. I once had a student who had formerly studied with a person who was disgusted with his job in a VERY GOOD orchestra. You can find the negative stuff wherever you are. You own attitude will determine a great amount of your success.

Mitch Spray

Follow Ups: