Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mg on June 18, 2003 at 23:22:38:

In Reply to: Re: Musician's life in the Military posted by Original Poster on June 18, 2003 at 17:36:58:

I love the life of a military musician. I have been the regular Army Band and I think the job is GREAT! The job itself is all what you make of it and the attitude you have. If you have a bad attitude or are a chronic complainer then you probably should choose another career. As far as "playing soldier.........." There is certainly nothing wrong with being a soldier/musician. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a better way to serve our country other than proudly standing on the parade field, dressed sharply playing our National Anthem and patriotic music (with a sousaphone) for the troops that sometimes "die" for our freedoms. I believe I would rather, "play" soldier...I can go on about all of the benefits of serving in the Army/Air Force music program, but with either program you are a member of a team and are NOT alone! Your typical day will depend on who the Commander/1SG and Section Supervisors goals and things you need to get done for your unit...(such as Administrative Tasks, Operations, Library, Training, Publicity, Recruiting and Supply)....The commander and 1SG want to see the unit excel so they are NOT going to hurt you. The primary mission focus IS to provide musical support and to enhance morale of the troops. In the Army you will have annual Common Task requirements that could save your life one day, like putting on a gas mask, chemical suit, first aid, digging a fox-hole, putting on camoflaouge, map reading-but it is really no big deal...once you know how to do this stuff-it's a piece of cake! Like playing a BBb scale. You will also be required to do physical exercise and in some units that could be 5-days a week. BUT AGAIN, you'll find that you and your playing, breathing and mental focus will only benefit from the increased activity; plus you'll look better too! AND if you do well, you will only earn the respect of your supervisor and peers.

Some units do not like to come in at 0600 and that can change to 0730, 0830, 0845 and in some cases 0900 it just depends on who's in charge at the time and if you are on a incentive program for PT. Most bands prefer to start the day something like this...

0800 Formation
0830 Admin/IP
1030 Small Groups
1130 Lunch
1300 Concert Band
1530 PT

You may need to return to finish office work after PT if needed but that will be up to your shop supervisor. Concert Band and Small Groups are interchangeable as well as Admin/IP (individual practice) Also, if you have a job ceremony late the prior evening you generally get the next morning off-if you can't then they'll try to give you rest another time when the schedule allows.

A typical Thursday may look something like this-one day a week (worst case scenario)

0700 Formation
0715-1200 Soldiers Time (Army Training)
1200-1300 Lunch
1300 Concert Band/Sectionals
1400 Admin/IP
1500 Family Time (off the rest of the day)

In a division band there are times where you would go to the field for a week or two but could return to garrison and perform ceremonies for troops/generals -if needed.

Well, I hope this helped.

Follow Ups: