Re: MW2000 Willson 3050 PT7P Comparisons?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 20, 2003 at 14:43:30:

In Reply to: MW2000 Willson 3050 PT7P Comparisons? posted by Chris Beard on June 20, 2003 at 14:12:53:

I'm unqualified to comment on sound and the sorts of scale issues that pros worry about. But I reacted to the 2000 and the Willson instruments very differently, and it may be useful to you.

For me, I'd take the 2000 any day. I've played two, and they both just overflowed with feel and response. They had a warm sound and were very easy to blow, with responsiveness better than any other 5/4 I've played. The Willson, on the other hand, seems to be able to do the job, but it is heavy and it does not feed back to the player nearly as much. I found it hard to tell what I was doing on the instrument. In short, if someone gave me a 2000, I'd learn CC. If someone gave me a Willson, I'd sell it and stick with BBb.

(By the way, I've played a VMI Neptune with rotary valves--a couple actually--and found them to be much less responsive than my Holton, which I seem to respond to about the same as the 2000. But I wonder if the Neptune is really consistently similar to the PT-7, which I've never played. I would class it similar to the Willson in that the player better have skills I don't have and the confidence to use them without much feedback to do anything useful with the instrument.)

Rick "thinking Willsons require LOTS of confidence" Denney

Follow Ups: