Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it me?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on June 20, 2003 at 18:39:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it me? posted by Rick Denney on June 20, 2003 at 18:22:05:

"but the departure of Eb tubas from most bands has definitely opened up that tonal gap"

makes me wonder even more why US bands have their baritones/euphs work almost exclusively in unisono.

The UK brass bands as well as the continental bands with and without woodwinds use 2 and 3 part settings for euphs/baritones/baryton/tenorhorn/Bariton/Tenorhorn/Saxhorn basse/Saxhorn baryton (just to limit the selection of languages to 4, but covering many more nations). In my ears that create great moments of beauty.

From the diverse permutations of ensembles for low conical brasses this sound would not be unfamiliar to US ears. Why not use that sound in band contexts, where it would certainly be most effective in consonance with and/or contrast to the wide palette of sounds already applied there?

"Somewhone just now editing an old US setting for male choir so that it can be used in diverse low brass ensembles"

Follow Ups: