Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it me?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Can't agree... on June 20, 2003 at 19:29:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it me? posted by Rick Denney on June 20, 2003 at 17:52:09:

"So, a euphonium with a lot of bottom in the sound fits in the U.S.-style wind ensemble, and contrasts nicely with the prominant trombones, while a brighter euphonium sound fits better in a British brass band."

I think the Brit-style Euphos play with a far 'bigger/rounder/tubbier/fuller' sound than their American cousins. Have you heard the UK players mentioned above?? Listen to recordings of Dyke, YBS or any top UK band and listen to the Euphs totally dominate the band sound. Great example of this is in the Brittannia (Fodens) record 'Year of the Dragon' - 2nd mmt climax is ALL Euph sound coming at you from EVERYWHERE : ) Mind you, Nick Childs at his best leading the section is a good starter!

Traditional British Euph players would NEVER relate to a 'bright' sound as anywhere near their sound-concept.
To me, it is the US guys who lean toward a 'lighter/leaner/fluffier(!)/Baritone-like/brighter' sound. I can't see how you could think the opposite...

Do we totally differ here in opinion??

Follow Ups: