Re: Miraphone 188

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on June 20, 2003 at 20:15:07:

In Reply to: Miraphone 188 posted by Question? on June 20, 2003 at 16:22:33:

I really like Mirafone 188s. I have not played one since they started utilizing a long whole step fifth valve. However, I have played a 186 since they became available with the new 5th valve tuning. It played exactly the same as the one I used to have (but with the 2/3 style 5th valve). I suspect the 188 maintains this consistency. If there are any modifications being made other than the new 5th valve tuning, I am not aware of them.

As to comparisons with PT-6 et al., I'll give you my opinion, but that's all it is... an opinion. I play a PT-6 rotory and have played extensively on an older 188. The sound quality on the mirafone is slightly brighter and more compact and not so "enveloping." The timbre is really very similar between the two, despite the size difference, although the there is just more of "it" with the PT-6. The difference between the two is subtle but noticable. Perhaps the mirafone is slightly more versatile because it is closer to a true 4/4 horn. The PT-6 is better for me, but I would never say that it is a categorically better instrument.

I can speak with no authority on any comparisons to Willsons, but I suspect it is more pronounced than between the PT-6 and 188.

Hope this helps. If not, you got what you paid for.

-Doug Whitten
Director of Band Activities
Pittsburg State University

Follow Ups: