Re: Smiling Embouchure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by russell on June 24, 2003 at 09:54:54:

In Reply to: Smiling Embouchure posted by Not Happy on June 24, 2003 at 05:56:52:

I had a HUGE smiling problem on the trombone, particularly for upper register notes. We (my instructor and I) tried many different ways of approaching the problem (frowning, corners down, tucked chin, etc) and I knew what he ment- but I just couldn't do it- I didn't know how to physically 'pull the corners down' or 'tuck my chin' while playing. It was frustrating to both of us. Then I heard in a jazz trombone clinic "for high notes- blow your air fast and straight down (toward the bottom of the mouthpiece)" This was a revelation to me: I tried it then and there (with no horn) and found that not only was i blowing straight down, but my corners were down and my chin was tucked! I had been trying to do these things for months and now that im 'blowing straight down', these things were all happening. For me it was kind of a mental block- I knew what i needed to do (stop smiling) but couldn't.

Anyhew- long story short- try blowing air straight down for your higher range. It should automatically make you stop smiling.

Russell

Long story short- try blowin

Follow Ups: