Re: mouthpiece for E-flat -- suggestions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Carter on June 24, 2003 at 16:24:48:

In Reply to: mouthpiece for E-flat -- suggestions? posted by Urbie Watrous on June 24, 2003 at 11:06:13:

I'm a bass bone player who doubles tuba as well. Currently I'm using a Faxx 24AW on a Boosey and Hawkes Compensating E flat with the large 19 inch bell. This horn seems to play well with any reasonable mouthpiece, I don't know what type of tuba you're playing. I like the Faxx 24AW better than the Bach 24AW becuase over the years Bach has strayed from the original designs. The Faxx mpcs are based on original Mount Vernon Bachs, and I find that the rim of the Faxx 24AW has a lot more definition than the donut rim of the current Bach 24AWs. The rim of the 24AW is not too large for E flat, also large enough for B flat or CC tubas is you want to. The deep cup of the 24AW helps to produce a large dark sound that helps the E flat when you are playing regular tuba parts in ensemble. I have a 24W (bit shallower cup) and it works very well too-not as dark a sound. But usually I just use the Faxx 24AW. Its an inexpensive mpc and the Bach 24AW was good enough for John Fletcher on E flat sound it should be good enough for me. I know that a 24AW sounds mundane with all the exotic mpcs around nowdays, but it really works well on a E flat tuba!

Follow Ups: