Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any DAT's fs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 26, 2003 at 15:48:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any DAT's fs? posted by Joe Baker on June 26, 2003 at 11:52:07:

I'd go find a used stage microphone from the local guitar store, and forget about stereo. Or, just use the Sony mike. But back it away from the tuba to keep from overloading it.

When you do that, though, you'll get more ambient noise in the mix, including that loud computer fan. Don't underestimate how loud fans are these days. If it's in the same room, you'll hear it. If you mike is 12 feet away, the fan being 25 feet away won't be far enough. Put the computer in a different room and close the door.

But I like the recorder controls near to hand, and the computer in a different room means I eat about about 10 megabytes between when I start the recording and when I'm actually playing the music I intended to record. You'll end up spending a bunch of time editing and navigating through the file.

You'll also need an assistant to set levels if you can't see the display while playing the tuba. Setting levels is the single most important thing to do in the whole process.

You can work on the cheap, but you give up both quality and convenience. If it's not convenient enough, I won't do it and so might as well save the 100 bucks in the first place, heh, heh.

Rick "who admits that he doesn't use his own setup all that often, but he should" Denney

Follow Ups: