Re: Re: Re: Re: Oscar LaGasse/Sibelius 2/WOW!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LV on June 26, 2003 at 18:30:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Oscar LaGasse/Sibelius 2/WOW!!!! posted by Carole Nowicke on June 26, 2003 at 15:20:32:

I played in a couple groups with a Mike sr. and Mike jr. Skrzynski for years. Mike jr. always talked about "Uncle Joe".

I had also played at Meadow Brook Music Festival (summer home of the DSO in Rochester, MI) with Joe Skrzyinski. Being a young pup, I just kept my nose to the music and didn't socialize too much.

I never put two and two together that Joe was "Uncle Joe" until a couple of months ago when I had breakfast with "Uncle Joe" and a bunch of Detroit's music old timers that meet once a month (the next youngest guy was 18 years older than me! When I was invited, I couldn't resist the opportunity to listen to the stories so I ducked out of work and went to hang out). Joe Skrzynski was a holy terror according to his students, a real tough guy in lessons, but "Uncle Joe" was a teddy bear!

I had a great time listening to the stories of Detroit's old music scene. Most of the guys went to the same undergrad school I went to back when it was not uncommon to graduate and walk right into an orchestral gig in Detroit, Cleveland or other midwest groups.

"Uncle Joe" is a hell of a musician and a great guy!

LV

Follow Ups: