Re: Re: Re: Truly Great Teachers/Performers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on June 27, 2003 at 12:17:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Truly Great Teachers/Performers posted by David on June 27, 2003 at 08:41:14:

In everything I have seen, personality is the very topmost consideration in getting work. I've seen several situations where someone who played the pants off the horn could not get a job because no one could stand them, and I've seen lesser but still competent players get lots of jobs because they were so easy to work with. Yo Yo Ma has a reputation of being just a nice guy, no arrogance or patronizing. You have to have the combination to really get there. So I guess the ability to market yourself without turning people off, is a great ability to have. And it never hurts to walk into a new situation with the question, "What can I do for YOU?"

The only situation contrary to that that I've seen personally is a contemporary composer whom I would have trouble being in the same room with...and he is getting a lot of work and performances. More power to him...but yikes. Maybe he'd have trouble being in the same room with me, too.

MA
MA

Follow Ups: