Re: The St. Petersburg 202

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Swart on June 28, 2003 at 11:57:47:

In Reply to: The St. Petersburg 202 posted by Lauren on June 27, 2003 at 21:09:09:

I've had a St Pete for 6 years, and here's my input. The biggest problem with the SP is the valve system. Poor quality. This can be dealt with, but at a price. The other knocks the SP receives, thin metal, and poor finish, are basically true, however if you use a hard case and treat the horn right, you will not have any more dent problem than any other tuba. Let's face it, these are large instruments that are used in crowded places and contact with undesirable objects will happen. I would never put a SP in the hands of a school kid. They would batter a tuba made of cast iron! The finish does wear in the areas where there is a lot of contact, but it isn't that bad IMHO. I don't find it difficult to keep it looking good. The SP has a great tone, and it plays in tune. At least mine does. I would second the advice about not dealing with So. Carolina, but if you want new that's the choice unless you can get some one in Canada to deal with Germany, and frankly, they're not too much better.

Follow Ups: