Re: Tips for 30 year comeback

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on June 28, 2003 at 12:02:25:

In Reply to: Tips for 30 year comeback posted by Jonathan Schwartz on June 27, 2003 at 21:16:18:

don't rent - buy.

My guess is that the reason you stopped playing was that you didn't own a tuba.
If you rent, it will be too easy to give up when things get rough (they will, but it will be temporary). Writing a check is a good motivator.

On the other hand (warning - I'm about to contradict myself) - renting can be more expensive than buying. Contact one of the reputable dealers with national reputations and acquire a used tuba. Middle of the road. 4/4 BBb (I assume that's what you played in HS). As long as you don't drop it down a flight of stairs, you can always turn around and sell it for the same price (less markup and shippint). This will be cheaper than renting for a year.

I bought my first tuba (after 25 years off) on credit - even though I *could* have simply written a check for the full amount. Writing the monthly check to pay off the loan was a powerful reminded to get back in the practice room.

On coming back - go back to square one. Start by purchasing the complete set of Rubanks method books and start at page one. When you get to the end of the Intermediate book you can start expanding your collection of music.

Finally, start looking NOW for a group to play in. It may be a month or two before you feel like playing in "public" - but the sooner you play with a group the faster you will improve.

Follow Ups: