Re: The St. Petersburg 202

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by so... on June 28, 2003 at 13:11:27:

In Reply to: The St. Petersburg 202 posted by Lauren on June 27, 2003 at 21:09:09:

there seem to be three levels of input (maybe 4):

1) the horn sounds "ok" to good,

2) its fragile - but other tubas dent also, so if you're careful, why worry?

3) the valves are junk - this is the most expensive part of a horn, both to build as well as maintain or repair or replace they are also the most immediately likely to influence how you feel about the horn when you use it - if the valves are junk do the St Pete's really SOUND good enough to compensate for that? and....as a player can YOUR skills compensate for the mechanical shortfalls enough to capitalize on the sound?

4) the seller in Carolina is NOT very popular here...I'd guess a lot of people on the tubenet have had experience w/TE, so you need to decide how much importance you attach to the almost universal opinion of dealing with that shop.

I.M.O. there are several dealers that have better reputations and will work with you to get you better equipment at comparable prices - Baltimore Brass comes to mind since they are giving a no-interest payment plan for some of their horns, and the proprietor has a wonderful and hard-earned reputation.

f.w.i.w.

Dale Phelps

Follow Ups: