Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Article on new tubist in Vienna

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Umbria on June 29, 2003 at 21:50:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Article on new tubist in Vienna posted by UMBRAGE on June 29, 2003 at 21:04:17:

I'm not sure how the VPO can still be labeled "xenophobic" when it tours all around the world nearly every year. If they were truly xenophonbic, they wouldn't go to N.Y. and mix-it-up on the streets next to African Americans walking around with ghetto blasters, I don't think. "Xenophonic", "racist", "misogonistic", "sexist" - these are begining to sound like cliche' labels to me. And not that two wrongs make a right, but a female tromboinist can have problems in many places, and not just Vienna. In addition, I might be wrong, but I think that you're confusing Vienna with somewhere in Germany, in regards to the story about the female trombone player. By the way, the current principal trombone in Vienna is British, taken from the LSO but I guess that doesn't count. He's also male, which is another strike, I suppose.

And whether the relationship between Bernstein and the VPO was uneasy and "apologetic" in nature, it was still a relationship. Would it have been better if they simply hadn't bothered?

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: