Re: Re: Re: Fletch's tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff on June 30, 2003 at 18:31:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Fletch's tubas posted by a guy in CA on June 30, 2003 at 16:30:18:

Actually, Stephen Wick owns one of these; I don't who owns the other. Mike has had Steve's Holton to reburbish it, that's how he knows it so well.

Mike, by the way, is an excellant craftsman. He has done some fantastic work that I've seen. Very clean and very creative in his designs. He's built several cimbassi, as well as a couple of very original saxophone-shaped tubas for Oren Marshall.

Fletcher also had a massive Cervany BBb and a big Rudy Meinl. He may have had an Alex as well. He wrote a series of articles for a brass band magazine in the UK which have been reprinted in the excellant book about him. The book is called Fletch, I believe, and is available in the US from a few music dealers on line.

He used his B&H Sovereign Eb alot as well.

I think he was a beautiful example of the perfect balance between musical artistry, tonal conception, and technical mastery. I've always wondered why more people in the US (myself included, prior to my move to the UK) don't hold him in more esteem.

Jeff

Follow Ups: