Re: what to include on a resume...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 24, 1999 at 09:09:57:

In Reply to: what to include on a resume... posted by Dave Williams on March 23, 1999 at 13:35:22:

Auditions for professional symphony orchestras are an expensive procedure. As a result, what you put on your resume helps the orchestra decide if it is wise to spend the money to hear you audition. Please remember that most orchestras are looking for an experienced player who can come in and be effective immediately without disrupting what procedures have already been established. Very rarely does an untested, younger tubist win a job. The only time that has happened that I know of in the last 30 or so years is when Sumner Erickson won Pittsburgh. If you look at all the other auditions that have happened over that time you will find they all hired tubists from smaller orchestras. Unfortunately, stories abound about auditions being "fixed" and this does happen. Usually when you see this kind of thing it is because the conductor has heard a tuba player in another orchestra and wants to hire that person. So, from the management's point of view, the audition can be a costly and time consuming waste of time.

The great thing about having a musician's union is that we can protect our rights when someone tries to take them away. The union has done just that by forcing managements to hear all players who apply for an audition. Sean was right when he said that if your resume isn't really extensive, the orchestra will probably send you a "we don't think you should come audition" form letter. But the key thing to remember here is that they can only suggest this, not keep you from auditioning. So, if you think you're ready to set the world on fire with your playing or you just want experience at an audition, you have the right to play an audition. Just remember the phrase that will appear in just about every advertisement for an audition:

"The audition committee reserves the right to dismiss immediately any candidate not meeting the highest artistic standards."

So be prepared when you sit in that audition chair! I encourage all my students to go to auditions as a learning experience. I feel auditions help to sharpen the playing skills and I also think that you "learn" how to win an audition, like any other skill. Also, you will usually hear a bunch of great players in an audition situation. This doesn't hurt...

The bottom line is that if your resume is weak, just request a time and tell the orchestra you have no experience. They can't refuse you a chance to play. Get your feet wet!!!

Follow Ups: