3 or 4 valve 3/4 BBb for an 11 yr. old daughter?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Oscar on March 26, 1999 at 10:30:48:

Hi. I am new to the world of tubas, and would like some advice on buying a good to very good 3 valve (or preferably 4 valve) 3/4 BBb tuba for my 11 year old daughter. Currently, she practices on a predecessor to the Besson 787 (3/4 BBb 3 valve model), and plays a 4/4 Holton 4 valve tuba (model unknown) at school. She is changing schools this fall, and will no longer have access to either of these tubas in a few months.

She has been playing since she was 8 years old, and is a really good technical player for her age. The band director at her new school is so thrilled that she is coming, that he has offered to buy a new 3/4 tuba for her to use at school. He has even left the choice of tubas up to us (within reason, of course!).

Also, I would like to buy her a very good used tuba for home practice. While I would like to get her a 4/4, the air requirements and weight of a 4/4 are still too physically overwhelming for her to handle comfortably (Not surprisingly, her tone quality and volume are the weakest aspects of her playing). I would greatly appreciate any advice regarding the best 3/4 tubas (especially 4 valve models) for us to consider for home and school.

By the way, I have enjoyed playing a Besson euphonium for the last +26 years. However, practicing with and teaching my daughter has been a really fun and rewarding experience. I hope that some of you also get to enjoy the same kind of opportunity.

Follow Ups: