Re: mic pic ups for tuba bells

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by spitvalve on March 27, 1999 at 15:44:26:

In Reply to: mic pic ups for tuba bells posted by ken k on March 18, 1999 at 10:54:56:

I'm not a techie, Ken, but I too am a rock and roll tuba player. I've been playing into a mic on a boom for about three years with my upright tuba as well as my sousaphone. Ive just purchased a clip-on condenser mic and taken it to one practice.It's a tiny mic on the end of a 6" flexible conduit, and it clips onto the bell rim.(I was told that they are specifically designed for brass and woodwind instruments). It seems to be what I've been looking for- the sound is great, and no more bashing sounds from hitting the mic.I also tried it on my bari. sax with good results. This is a (used) AKG Hypercard clip-on mic XLR type model#C419 made in Austria. It requires a phantom power adaptor, and these come in either a more expensive battery operated clip-on belt type or a cheaper plug in floor model (I bought the floor model).It all cost me just under $200.00 (Canadian), which I thought was a good price. I've been told by a sound engineer that I should get an equalizer for it so the sound could be adjusted by the player. Hope this is some help.

Follow Ups: