Re: Re: TUBA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on March 30, 1999 at 12:27:28:

In Reply to: Re: TUBA posted by Jay Bertolet on March 30, 1999 at 08:33:55:

That's the focus of the issue, Jay. What do tuba players get for their membership fees? It's good to see a professional like yourself with his head on straight to see the shortcomings of the organization. I'm afraid this post will once again summon the ire of the misguided TUBA spokesmen. A lackluster journal four times a year is not likely to convince anyone to join. You're right on that point.

Brian needs to keep in mind that his figures are bogus. Coming from a big ACC school myself, most tuba players in the marching band aren't even music majors. The music majors, especially the good tubists are too busy in the department to go gallavanting around the country. So, basically, the majority of the tuba players you see in the high profile events on t.v. are recreational musicians, and that's ok. But my guess is they're not serious enough to fork out money for such an "iffy" organization in the first place. Maybe if there were a forum for such players they might be attracted, but the majority of college players are not interested in the latest, newfangled Perantucci product or the latest avant garde tuba, saw and jew harp trio either. As a matter of fact, I'm not too interested in the above either, thus my withheld membership.

Just some thoughts...

Let me know if you want change back from my 2 cents...

Follow Ups: