Re: Sound of Sousaphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on March 02, 1999 at 14:43:52:

In Reply to: Sound of Sousaphone posted by TUBALI on March 02, 1999 at 06:57:01:

The short answer to your question I think is Conn or King. I've played the odd good Holton or York (esp. 4 valve Eb) sousa, but consistently over many years, you can expect reliably good sound from a King or Conn BBb sousa. A little counterpoint to Sam's advocacy of the King: I prefer the sound of a Conn sousaphone, particularly the large bore, short action valve 20K model. The King has a mellower sound I would describe as almost sweet (which I don't mind in an upright -- I own a King), but the big Conns have a gutsier "bassier" sound which fits my sound concept for a sousaphone better. For me, the Conns also speak more easily and seem to be freeer blowing both in the lowest and highest registers. I have played some particularly good 20Ks over the years which I would compare in sound to any very good tuba. The 4valve we had in high school (did that make it a 24K?) was an amazing horn, with a great open low register and good clean sound well up to around the f above middle c (sorry I couldn't play much higher in those days -- wish I could still get up there on a BBb now).

So, you can't go wrong with a King, but try a good Conn as well.

Caveat: This applies only to brass horns, the fiberglass horns are all junk.

Follow Ups: