Re: Sounding different in an audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on March 04, 1999 at 10:25:38:

In Reply to: Sounding different in an audition posted by Richard on March 02, 1999 at 06:18:00:

Good comments from Sean. Another thing to consider is that the order of the excerpts may be used to eliminate those players who are not totally up to speed on their instrument. When I auditioned for the Pittsburgh job, I was thrown a curve by the committee. First it was in a large room that had fibreglas hanging out of the walls - big but dead. The hardest part was the order of the excerpts - Ride of the Walkuries (low and loud), Benvenuto Cellini (high and loud) then the openning licks from Til Eulenspiegel (very soft mid register). This last was very difficult because of the two horn changes and because, all of a sudden, you had to completely reverse everything you had just done in a very soft, exposed passage. I nailed it but not without those evil thoughts of what I would like to do to the committee running through the back of my mind.

Be able to do ANYTHING in ANY ORDER no matter how unreasonable you feel it may be. If you expcect the worst and prepare for that possibility, you stand a much better chance of making it to the next round.

Just my thoughts and experience on this topic.

Roger Lewis

Follow Ups: