Re: Re: Re: Re: T.U.B.A. ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by me again on March 16, 1999 at 17:12:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: T.U.B.A. ? posted by Alan Herold on March 15, 1999 at 14:16:31:

How many of those tuba quartet pieces you played were GOOD music? Hmmm...thought so. Even the tuba's best piece, the Hindemith (which is a noteworthy piece, mind you), can't compare musically to a Strauss horn concerto, or Berg's violin concerto. The best tuba or euphonium solo is worse than the worst Mozart concerto written. Why were you one of the "most popular groups" at the university? Probably because of the sheer grotesqueness of the medium. Or maybe it was because it was the only recital people could go to where it was o.k. to laugh out loud. I am a competent tuba player who feeds my family with my horn and I love what I do as much as anyone. But come on! Wake up my son and accept your position as a tuba/euphonium player. We are BACKGROUND BRASS. We support.

Ever heard of Simon Rattle? Ever heard the Concertgebouw Orchestra? Ever listen to a Shostakovich symphony other than #5? Do you know who Aarvo Part is? Have you ever cried listening to Durufle's Requiem (sorry, no tuba part in that one)? Do you know how many wind serenades Mozart wrote? Probably not, because it doesn't have a tuba or euphonium part. Either that or you're too busy practicing "Rocked in the Cradle of the Deep", or "In the Deep, Dark, Depths" or "The Salamander" or some other gem in the tuba-euph literature. The former are the CD's I buy (you certainly know enough about Boyz to Men to know it is spelled with a "z"). You probably only go to an orchestra concert if it has a cool tuba part. Oh, I forgot. Sounds like you're a euphonium player so you just stay home bitter knowing that unless you make a service band, you're screwed. Well, more Pineapple Poll for you, my friend.

I apologize if I want to spend my time developing my musicianship with worthwhile pursuits rather than playing a Bach invention with 8 euphoniums and 12 tubas all thinking they're better than the person next to them. My guess is, if you ask the honorable Mr. Phillips and Mr. Perantoni, they will also tell you that we often take ourselves way too seriously. We are musicians that happen to play the tuba. I'm sorry, but I can better develop myself as a PERSON and MUSICIAN by playing the best music that I can. I have yet to play a tuba-euphonium ensemble that I left feeling enriched. Therefore, I spend my time more wisely. Maybe our standards are different. Hmmmm....

Hang around musicians other than tuba and euphonium players. You will learn a lot.

Follow Ups: