Re: Re: Re: Re: Playing 2 or more types of tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 18, 1999 at 13:10:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Playing 2 or more types of tubas posted by Gary on March 18, 1999 at 10:32:46:

It is funny you should mention "standardized" sound concepts. Actually, I think that the ability to make an F or Eb tuba sound like a CC tuba is an important element to consider when choosing which tuba to use. While I agree with you that a diversity of sounds is a good thing I also believe the tubist should be flexible enough with his equipment to make the smaller tubas sound consistent with the bigger tuba sound. This is one of the reasons why I don't play F tuba. I find all F tubas I play to sound radically different from my CC instruments. To get the diversity of sounds I need, I have purchased 2 Eb tubas, one large one that can sound bigger or smaller and one small Eb that really is an F tuba design pitched in Eb so it really sounds like an F.

I agree with you that having a preconception that small and large tubas should sound the same is misguided. I just feel it can be advantageous to have that option available.

Follow Ups: