Re: Eb popularity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. on March 01, 2000 at 11:25:41:

In Reply to: Eb popularity posted by DaveC on March 01, 2000 at 08:02:11:

I originally started playing Eb tuba because I wanted bass tuba for soloing and some orchestral rep and my school (Miami University) owns and Eb tuba. . . I have not yet found the bass tuba that I will end up with, but I've tried quite a few and found more Eb's that I liked then F's, but there were a few F's. . . I think the Nirshl Eb is about as good as it gets, but I don't have the money to drop for that right now. . . In general I'm finding that I like the sound of the Eb's better than the F's and it feels more like playing a tuba and not a euphonium (even the really large F's don't feel or sound quite right when I play them, but I've heard lots of people play them better than I do). . . when it comes right down to it, it's just a personal preference, like BBb or CC, CC is more accepted, but there are a few players out there doing just fine on BBb, just as F is more accepted, but there are a few players out there doing the job on Eb. . . and yes I do think that the Eb holds my personal voice, but my playing has a long way to go, so maybe my thoughts will change. . .

--T. J. Ricer

Follow Ups: