Re: to do brass quintet rep or not to do ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on March 03, 2000 at 20:01:48:

In Reply to: to do brass quintet rep or not to do ... posted by ken k on March 02, 2000 at 23:46:43:

You read my mind, ken k. I was listening today to the Canadian Brass' first truly classical release in years, the Bach Goldberg Variations, arr. by Frackenpohl, on RCA. This is a serious transcription, no b.s. whatsoever, and CB play all of it with ease, grace, style, and taste. They play it better than most pianists, and that's no b.s. either. Unfortunately this is the exception, not the rule in their approach to repertoire. Crossover kitch is fun. It's fun to play, and it's an easy sell to audiences, concert promoters and record co. suits. CB has made a very good living out of it. Aside from their nearest rival, the Empire, name another FULL TIME brass quintet. CB has sent the message and set the example. Crossover sells. I'm amazed they even bothered with the Bach. Deep down they know what's right.

By the way, crossover, or pops, IS fun. The 3 Tenors are fun. But I recall hearing a live early Empire Etler Quintet at Carnegie Recital Hall. Ask the CB if they might take up the Etler, and they'll look at you like you're from another planet. If Beethoven had lived in the US in the 1950s, HE would have written the Etler. The Meridian has recorded it, but in a more idealistic profession, we'd have at least a half-dozen alternative versions to ponder. And that's only one work. And who knows what's NOT being written?

Follow Ups: