Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Schilke TUBAs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on March 06, 2000 at 23:45:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Schilke TUBAs? posted by Rick Denney on March 06, 2000 at 13:04:41:

I know of two CC tubas Schilke had made in his Chicago loft in the mid 70s. These were 4/4 instruments, front action 4-valve pistons. A bit larger than the CB tuba, they were intended as prototypes for Yamaha, but were declined in favor of the smaller tuba which became identified with Dallenbach and the CB.

I was in Chicago on a ballet tour, had a visit with Mr. Jacobs, and he told me about these instruments that Schilke was trying to sell. I tried them out and chose the second of the two as being smoother in response and better in tune. It was an ideal all around horn for orchestra, band, and quintet. I felt amazing security for a CC tuba going to a fifth above the staff. Once I had to play Corsair Ovt. and Tchaik 6 on the same concert with a traveling and carpool situation that mandated one tuba only. The Schilke acquited itself nobly as an imitation F tuba in the Berlioz, and had all the power and depth I needed for the Tchaik. Last summer I sold it in order help defray the cost of a small Dillonized York, an ancestor in spirit and kind to the new Dillon Conn. I sold the Schilke on consignment at Dillons - also ran an ad in the October International Musician. I understand the instrument was purchased by a young player in the Northeast. If the new owner is reading, be good to it and it will be good to you.

Follow Ups: