Re: Mirafone 191 or Cerveny 693,please!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cerveny owner on March 08, 2000 at 15:18:19:

In Reply to: Mirafone 191 or Cerveny 693,please! posted by wondering BB player! on March 08, 2000 at 12:51:55:

I posted this anonymously with no email so you won't think I'm shilling for my horn, which is for sale. The Cerveny 693 is a BIG tuba with a big dark sound. You will not be able to put an edge on it. The upper register is very responsive and the lower notes pop out pretty easily without distortion. I'm not good enough to get pedal tones or go below a low D on it. It has an enormous volume and presence.
Cons are the intonation is off on mine on 2 or 3 notes, but moving the slides around cures most of that problem. Also, if you breathe on it funny, it will dent. A case will be almost impossible to find for under $450. (Mine has one)
I thoroughly enjoyed owning and playing this big tuba, and have only decided to sell because I've recently purchased an Eb which will fill all the big tuba roles I will have in the middle future. I don't think I'll be needing to fill out the bottom of any major orchestras any time soon.
I have played Mirafones and liked them, but chose the CBB693 because of the response and the price. Someone else more familiar with these horns can better give you the Mirafone side of the story
Ta

Follow Ups: