Re: perceptions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on March 09, 2000 at 13:25:44:

In Reply to: perceptions posted by Joe S. on March 08, 2000 at 23:25:06:

Tuesday, March 7, 2000, 6:45 PM.

I am on my way to rehearsal with the local community band. I am listening to WUOT, Knoxville's NPR station, and the announcer for the evening jazz show reminds me that it's Fat Tuesday, and he will be playing the music of New Orleans style jazz for the next 90 minutes. To kick it off, a piece by (I can't remember the trombonists name) and the Pocket Brass Band. It was a pretty kickin' little arrangement for trumpet, trombone, sousaphone, and drums.

So as I'm beboppin' my way down the road, I started to notice the sound that the souzy player was getting. He did NOT sound like a srting bass, or a BAT. He had EXACTLY the sound that I've always thought that a sousaphone should have, if they made sousaphones that could sound that way (it appears that they do). He was producing what sounded to my ear to be perfect spheres of sound for his notes in the walking bass line. The only time he didn't play with that sound was for effect in the solo he ripped out. And boy what a solo! About 6 - 7 minutes worth.

I was late to band...

I realize that the recording engineers can cover a multitude of sins, but I don't think that they had to do much here. You can't take a laser-tone and turn it into what I heard coming out of my speakers.

Just a thought. That souzy player was getting the enveloping sound that Jay spoke of (it didn't sound like a really "live" room or concert hall, but it was in front of an audience). It's possible to do. However, I seriously doubt that that player, as wonderful as he sounded, could get THAT tone at the volume necessary for orchestral playing. Besides, Wagner was very particular about which tuba he wanted to hear at what place, and I don't think he scored much for sousaphone. ;^) Can you imagine the ruckus behind the screen when a guy shows up to audition on a 20K?

Follow Ups: