Re: Literature Project

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by carrie on March 12, 2000 at 14:59:45:

In Reply to: Literature Project posted by Chuck Koontz on March 12, 2000 at 02:26:11:

Chuck-
I took a Tuba Lit. course as part of my degree requirements just a few years ago. I wasn't required to list EVERYthing published for Tuba, but all major works (from Jr. High-High School to Professional) + fun stuff that I just liked. I had some other big projects, from comparisons between performers to making a price list of tubas! I took this as an independent study, I don't know when I did so much research by myself or for one course. But i am so glad I did! Learned a ton, and most of it was fun. I think I played better during and after this course, too.

Anyways, here are some of the most productive ways I went about the literature part of it. I started by going to the biggest local sheet music store (Stanton's, in Columbus, Ohio). I looked through their OMEA (Ohio Music Educator's Assoc.) lists for solo/ensemble contest pieces. I browsed the music they had there, and looked through their catalogues. (The professor for this course was, of course, my tuba teacher as well. He knew some folks at the store, and told them what I was doing ahead of time, and they were very helpful and kind about letting me peruse the music catalogues). I did the same at some smaller university music stores, and while I turned up a few things here and there, didn't find a WHOLE lot else (but that was fun, anyways).

The other place I spent at least 2 days a week that semester was at Ohio State's Music Library (FYI- I didn't go to school there, so I couldn't check out materials, only photocopy FOR RESEARCH USE or just write down stuff there). If you are fortunate enough to either attend a school with a large music library or live near one, USE IT. I found a lot of stuff here, also. Not only from materials like the Tuba Source Book, but also from REFERENCES within other texts. (Check out footnotes and the references in the backs of books, they list the pieces of music they use, the publisher, composer, etc.)

Finally, (and this was probably my favorite, if not the best, method) I browsed record shops for recordings. This did help to find pieces that aren't widely published, but still valuable for the tuba player to be at least familiar with.

I have a webpage that actually lists a bunch of tuba literature and recordings, but it is down (some of it was accidentally deleted and I haven't put it back up YET). If you email me, I can email you at least part of this list. Most of it is literature for students, and would be some of the 1st stuff you come across, so I don't think it would be like I was doing any homework for you... I had it posted for informative purposes anyways!

-carrie

FYI, the URL is listed, even though it's not up at the moment. Check back in a couple of days

Follow Ups: