Re: solo philosophy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on March 12, 2000 at 18:54:02:

In Reply to: solo philosophy posted by Steve Dedman on March 12, 2000 at 16:56:07:

The 4 minute mile is now more common place. Undergraduates are handily performing Kraft Encounters II. Space Shuttle launches are common place. Just about anyone can bungee jump now.

Why? Not because human beings are evolving to super beings. It is because someone before us did it and proved it was not impossible. Once someone breaks a record/barrier, several others feel more confident that it is possible and do the same. Soon, the old "record" is the "standard".

I think the maturity discussion has little to do with the technical demands of the music. This has to do with life itself. Do most 16 year old musicians have a full grasp of the musical significance of the Bach Cello Suites? No. Are they capable of exploring them just as you and I do? Of course. Should they? Yes. We are not talking about teaching Kama Sutra to 14 year olds. We are talking about music. Younger musicians are already experimenting with music. Why not push the envelope as much as possible? I have heard many recitals where the person was unprepared or incapable of successfully performing the selected music. Never did it have anything to do with age. It always had to do with the individuals dedication and musical integrity.

There is nothing wrong with younger musicians performing very complex music. There is also nothing wrong with professional musicians performing more simple music. The judgement needs to be based on whether the individual is willing to do what it takes to properly prepare and present the tunes. Old or young, music must be respected treated as such.

play what you will,
sean chisham

Follow Ups: