Re: solo philosophy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on March 12, 2000 at 20:44:11:

In Reply to: solo philosophy posted by Steve Dedman on March 12, 2000 at 16:56:07:

To all:

If you are playing just notes in public you are not playing music.

There is a wealth of HS Tuba talent where I am from I consistently have students playing "hard" music. The Pendericki or the Pers Parable are not on my list to teach a younger musician. It is silly to waste the time teaching a piece that advanced. If they want to, on thier own, check it out, listen, explore the different sounds, practice a section of it, ok. But not to perform in public.

I am not at all slamming the younger generation. I consider myself a member. There is a certain amount of responsibility and guidance that a teacher must give to foster the fundamentals and the mechanics of making music. Encouraging younger players to do it just to do it, or because they want to borders on irresponsibility.

In the end parents pay me to guide thier children to pieces that will help them become better citizens and musicians. We need to reflect not on what they want, but what can we steer them to to make them better.

Scott

Follow Ups: