Re: solo philosophy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Press on March 13, 2000 at 08:32:47:

In Reply to: solo philosophy posted by Steve Dedman on March 12, 2000 at 16:56:07:

I think I agree the most with Jay's posting. As long as it is just for the student's own curiosity with no intent to perform, I think it is fine to work on very challenging works UNLESS it leads to great frustration and the student begins to feel demeaned. Then only negative progress is made.

And I think that if a teacher pushes a student to work on works that may be above his/her head technically and/or musically, we begin to fall into a trap of music becoming merely a craft instead of an art.

Remember Mr. Jacobs' mantra: SONG & wind. To be able to put song as the first priority, one must be able to comprehend the musical language. A 10th or 11th grader is not likely to be able to make sense of a Penderecki Capriccio or a Persichetti Parable, although there may be some exceptions.

I think that as teachers, we must exercise some caution against pushing a student just because it has been done before.

I agree that we have a responsibility to the student to steer them through the necessary basics especially in these early years. If a young student is working on a VW Concerto or a John Williams Concerto, are they really going to make time for the basic fundamental exercises we assign? My guess is a resounding NO.

I am all for pushing the envelope, but we must draw a line somewhere.

Follow Ups: