Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: planning to sell BBb BAT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by curmudgeon on March 13, 2000 at 11:48:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: planning to sell BBb BAT posted by Dale on March 13, 2000 at 11:24:31:

I never said you should take part in the 'feeding frenzy'. If the price is too high, pass. There's lots of things I really, really want that I just can't have. Besides, on the one hand you say things are too expensive, and on the other you say the Alex doesn't bring enough. So which is it, things are too expensive, or not expensive enough?

As to the pro who got cheated, I have no clue who this is, and the story sounds sad (this is not sarcasm, I take you at your word, and I really hate hearing stuff like this) but it is the fault of a dishonest company, not the fault of the free market. Yes, the free market does give you the opportunity to make unwise or risky purchases/sales/deals, but it also gives you the opportunity to make good ones. You just have to take the responsibility for determining your tolerance for risk.

Maybe you should look at it from the seller's point of view. You've got a horn, and you know maybe 300 people; if you're a teacher, maybe 50 of them are tuba players, otherwise maybe 10. That's a pretty limited pool of potential buyers, and if no one is just dying for your tuba you'll have to sell it cheap to one of them or cheaper to a pawn shop, or buy very expensive and ineffective advertising. As a seller, E-Bay opens up a whole world of tuba players, hundreds and hundreds of them, that you can sell to. It is MUCH more likely that one of them will highly desire your instrument, so it commands a higher price. As a seller, this is great!

Finally, let me challenge you: if the current situation is bad, could you describe one that is better?

Follow Ups: