Re: Meinl-Weston Model 32

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on March 03, 2001 at 06:18:32:

In Reply to: Meinl-Weston Model 32 posted by Greg Crider on March 02, 2001 at 12:39:45:

I bought my MW32 last Spring at Dillon Music. It has proved itself versital in large and small ensembles. The aspects that attracted me to it was the sound, projection, playability(the new ones I tried were not stuffy), and the solid construction. Intonation was also excellent. Matt Walters helped with making a great horn better with some simple "tweaking" of which I cannot reveal his secrets. I can say that it helped to focus the slots even closer. I compared the MW32 with the Conn 56J which I originally was interested in. For me, the projection of the MW was far greater with a dark and robust sound that didn't break up at loud volumes. Although the Conn responded quicker and was slightly easier to play, the trade off in projection, sound and a lower price tag sold me on the MW. Incidentally, the MW32 was one of three tubas used in the NY Phil audition when Warren Deck won. In the past I have owned a Miraphone 188, Alexander, PT-7 and a 2165. I would have to say, the MW32's sound is almost on par with my old Alex and ease of play like my Miraphone 188. I hope this helps some. I would definitely recommend it, but as always make sure it works for YOU. Best of luck!

Ken Sturgeon

Follow Ups: