Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Miraphone F at Dillon's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 03, 2001 at 08:23:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Miraphone F at Dillon's posted by Joe -Besson Imperial F questions- S. on March 03, 2001 at 01:03:44:

I'm very familiar with the Besson F that the University of Miami owns. The first year I was down here, the original music director of the FPO (Emerson Buckley, former touring conductor with Pavarotti) asked me to use this specific tuba for a production of La Boheme. He insisted that the sound was perfect for that opera. I got my hands on the tuba and tried it out and wasn't impressed. I had many more intonation difficulties than you had with yours and I felt the sound was really not that much different than the Yamaha YEB321 I was using at the time. Perhaps I used the wrong mouthpiece, I don't know. All I do know is that it was a pretty unpalatable experience. I've never requested the use of that tuba since. It was a compensator and a 4 valve (not 5) model. The only good thing I remember about that horn was that the low range that is so typically bad on the older F tubas was actually pretty solid on this horn. It was still a tad dicey but it was much more manageable than other horns around at the time (1985).

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: