Re: Eb or CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on March 03, 2001 at 08:58:38:

In Reply to: Eb or CC posted by John Elliott on March 02, 2001 at 21:48:47:

John,

You certainly aren't the first person to ask this question here! The consensus answer seems to be that a good quality, 5V 4/4 CC tuba should be your first one for college. The Miraphone S186-5U tuba is a good choice, because it's readily available in the used market, and it's not incredibly expensive new. It also has a reputation for good intonation.

I play the Besson 983 Eb tuba, which is not one of the larger Eb models (although it isn't a small Eb either). This tuba works well in quartet or quintet setting. But it's not big enough to provide a credible, contrabass tuba sound in a larger group. (Some will argue that the Miraphone 186 isn't either, but they're talking "major symphony orchestra" when they say it isn't big enough for a "larger group".) I've found that with the "compensating 4V Eb tuba" design, I personally have some difficulty having a full, easy low register. So I'm presently thinking of adding a BBb or CC tuba for my larger group and lower register playing needs. The Willson Eb tuba (model 3400, $7200 plus case, new), which has a very good low register, is probably the only Eb tuba that could rival the 186 CC for a similarly full low register sound (not identical -- no complaints, please). I've considered this approach for my playing, but for the price of a new Willson, I can buy a good, used 186CC AND a used F tuba (should I decide to replace my Besson Eb with an F, for whatever reason seems good at the time).

A 4/4 BBb tuba could also work well for you in college (Miraphone 186, Meinl Weston 25, VMI 3301, 3302, etc.). But because of the strong tendency for most college and pro players, and college professors to choose the CC tuba (see recent archives on CC vs. BBb), you should consider a tuba in the key of CC if you're planning on being a music major with tuba as your primary instrument. For me, with 25 years of BBb fingerings etched in my brain (before I switched to Eb) I have a significant reason to choose BBb instead of CC if I add a contrabass to my collection.

Good luck,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: