Re: Re: Mission accomplished by Navy Band In Pa.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on March 06, 2001 at 09:59:27:

In Reply to: Re: Mission accomplished by Navy Band In Pa. posted by Leland on March 06, 2001 at 03:41:49:

Hey Devildog,

I see that you have found out how much fun boot camp is. I had a blast and getting to play with all those cool toys like grenaides and laws rockets and machine guns. I saw the Discovery chanel show about the new Marine corps training that aired on last Saturday and alot of my contemporaries are chanting," It wasn't that easy when I was in!" I just chalk it up to the old generation thing where the old timers tend to exagerate things. The only thing I didn't like about Boot was not being able to play my horn. What is the scoop with rank now? Will you pick up Lcpl at DC after some more time in? I was promoted at the SOM in little creek and then I picked up meritoious promo to Cpl in LeJuene. It took a long time to pick up Sgt especially the way the old promotion system worked. That is why alot of Band field guys would go to DI School or become a recruiter for a time. You would think that the system would have been renovated by now putting you on the same level as the rest of the DC units but the old addage is still true today, you are a ground pounding rifle shooting lean mean green fighting machine UNITED STATES MARINE,OOOOHHRRAAAAAAGH! first and foremost and then a musician. I would highly reccomend getting lessons with one of the Marine Band players in case you decide to go that way, there are and always have been plenty of mustangs in the Band and what a great job if you can cut it. I never got that proficient and now I'm too old. You might see the Corps out in Pendleton with them being on West Coast Tour. Tell SSgt Jackson I said hello. We go back aways. Tell him I said to get a Quintet started again if he isn't doing one already. I've got music for him if he does. I hope things have changed and you guys get the respect you deserve as musicians. Carry On Jarhead and welcome to the "Band of Brothers". Remember.....Never retreat, just got to Hell and regroup!
Semper Fi Mac!
Randy,"MacMarine" Mac Iver
PS What ever you do don't drop that Chrome Buzzooka!

Follow Ups: