Re: Re: Re: Testing and evaluating horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Russo on March 07, 2001 at 10:23:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Testing and evaluating horns posted by Sean Chisham on March 07, 2001 at 01:44:48:

I had started to talk about the "element of strangness" in my post then I deleted it because it made no sense in the place it was in. I forgot to put it back in!

Sean is right. Every horn will feel (blow) different. That's why, if you are looking for a CC tuba, don't go in and play all the F tubas first. If you do that, every CC will have the "best low range ever"! I also think people should take a break and come back and play horns again. If you play one instrument that is really not right for you, the next one you play may seem really good. I usually try to stay out of the selection process until the person is down to three or four horns. That's when the differences may be too small to notice without another set of ears.

I also agree that you should look at the quality of construction. However, too many people think that an Amati should be built like a Hirsbrunner. Keep in mind what the quality of construction should be for what you are paying. (I'm NOT saying, "you get what you pay for". I am saying that if you are buying a $3000 tuba, it should be made well, but don't think that the valves and slides should work as well as a $12000 4/4)

There is a horn out there that is the right SOUND for everyone. Don't let other things get in the way of finding that horn.

Take care!

mike russo
Brasswind
(800) 348-5003 ext. 2266

Follow Ups: