Re: Please help out this mom!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Peck on March 09, 2001 at 10:56:10:

In Reply to: Please help out this mom! posted by Tuba mom on March 09, 2001 at 00:44:53:

I would not, under any circumstances, even consider purchasing one of these "cheap" tubas. I have heard plenty of horror stories about them and I have tried out some of these instruments. Buying one for even $1100 would be like throwing your money down the drain. The chances are that such an instrument would not function well even while brand new and the resale value will plummet as soon as you take possession of it. A much safer way to go would be to rent a payable tuba from a music store. Even if there is not such a store in your town odds are there is one within 100 miles or so. You might also talk to the professional musicians in your area and see if one of them has a student model tuba you can rent for a while. If you lived near me and I owned such a horn I would allow you to use it free of charge. Many music teachers are members of the local musicians union and they may have a leed on someone who can lend you a horn. Very seldom is it advisable to purchase a new tuba for a young student unless they are an unusually gifted player or you are absolutely sure they will be sticking with it for a few years. Good luck!

Follow Ups: