Re: Re: Please help out this mom!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on March 09, 2001 at 14:08:46:

In Reply to: Re: Please help out this mom! posted by Lew on March 09, 2001 at 09:21:37:

Only you and your son know a) how serious he is about tuba, b) how REALLY bad his current horn is, c) how helpful the local high school band director might be (one thing to ask about: fiberglass sousaphones. Lot's of bands have these in a corner, and while they aren't great they can be quite good, especially for a beginner), or how much money is too much for YOUR family to spend on band. However,...

If you would like to pursue buying an instrument for him, I have an old Conn 10J that I am interested in selling. This is a three-valve horn with upright valves. It plays very well, with great valves, and is tough as a tank. I would sell for $800.

The negatives, as I see them, are:
o It is not a great looking horn up close, but if you buy a 13-year-old a brand new horn, and he takes it to school (even though HE is very careful) it will be dented up after a year and a half anyway.

o I don't have a case, just a gig-bag. It's very well padded, but it is ugly, has broken straps, and (the biggest problem with this bag) is NOT a hard-case. I would recommend that before considering buying this horn that you locate an affordable case.

I live in the Dallas area. If you are in this part of the country, we could meet for you to try out the horn.

Joe "You don't want to buy my tuba, do you?" Baker

Follow Ups: