Re: summer stuff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jEFFIE the elephant on March 10, 2001 at 12:15:07:

In Reply to: summer stuff posted by eric o. on March 10, 2001 at 00:01:46:

well, i'm not sure if this is the right camp for you because you didn't specify your age or what you are looking for. But the Music Horizons program at the Eastman School was the best program for me. Granted, there are no big name instructors for tuba nor are there any large ensembles to play in. But what it did for me was show me exactly what 1st semester of freshman year would be like at a music school. You will get to play in a chamber group, learn theory, aural skills, get career coaching in music, some music history, musicology, you sing in a chorus, you get to play a solo in a recital in the major recital hall, etc. At this camp, I was taking private lessons with a trombone doctoral student who, after I suggested that I felt I was interested in playing music, basically said that I was a bad player and I wouldn't be able to get in to any strong programs. He gave me the excerpt to bruckner 4 (I didn't know who bruckner was) and told me I needed to learn it. So I went to the library and listened to the piece and it was THAT MOMENT when I realized all I wanted to do was music (So don't EVER tell me bruckner is just a blowfest!) Since then I worked my ass off and amazingly got into some pretty good programs (namely where I am, Eastman.) Since the program is only 3 weeks, but not too expensive, maybe combining it with a short performance camp or taking private lessons with some hotshots would be a grand combination.

just a suggestion, this may not apply to you or others
jeff

Follow Ups: