Re: Euphoniums Soveriegn or Prestige???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubahtheorist (I'm not a eupher, but...) on March 14, 2001 at 08:02:31:

In Reply to: Euphoniums Soveriegn or Prestige??? posted by Bob on March 14, 2001 at 07:48:13:

Hi. As everyone has now been previously warned, I'm not primarily a euphonium player. I do a bit of playing on the side however, so I thought I would share my opinion, what little I have to say... I have too played on the Sovereign 967 (for about four years I would say), and I think it is a great horn.
Now, about the Prestige. I've only played it a few times. (Someone else's horn.) Honestly, and could be because I am not a eupher, I don't notice too much of a difference. The tone sounds very similar between the two horns to me, but again, it could be my chops, or so many other variables... It's a beautiful horn, and it sounds great, but even if I were a full-time euphonium player, I'm not sure I would "upgrade." (Well, maybe if I get some money to throw around for fun..) Bottom line, it's a great horn from what I can tell. I don't notice that the new "additions" make too much difference to the sound, other than making tuning adjustments a little more convenient. I really do dig the design though, so I guess it's a matter of how you find the changes personally, and if you consider them enough to shell out the cash. I guess playing it is the only real way to find out, but I can understand wanting info before going and doing that!
Just my ear, my chops, and my very limited opinion... (: I'm sure the guys on here who are euphers can give you some great advice. Take this for what it's worth (my $.02)

Follow Ups: