Re: Euphoniums Soveriegn or Prestige???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on March 14, 2001 at 08:15:12:

In Reply to: Euphoniums Soveriegn or Prestige??? posted by Bob on March 14, 2001 at 07:48:13:

I have a Sovereign 967 and love it. I've tried the Prestige and, well, to be very politically correct, it would take some getting used too. I think Besson has compromised the trademark core of the sound on the new horn. I believe it is a beautiful horn, but at the same time I think the gold trim and dashing good looks are a bit over the top... they also help push the price a bit over the top. Now that I said that, the look of a horn is very important to some folks and that is fine, so this horn caters to them as well.

Cosmetics and price aside, I think it competes well with the large Willson 2950. If you like a BIG horn, this is one you should seriously look to.

Now, I've rattled on before about why I think the Besson 967 is a great horn. But I've since changed my tune. After trying every horn at recent tuba conferences I've seen STAGGARING difference between horns. The 967 is an absolutely fantastic horn for me. I despise Hirsbrunners, and can't get the Eb on the Meinl 451 in tune. Those horn a great for a different player. What one needs to do when shopping for a horn is take a L-O-N-G time to try different horns. Play test two or more of each make and model. Don't rush the process, and then you'll know that you've got the right horn for you.

It is a good horn. The late Luis Maldonato(sp?) won the Falcone competition on a non-compensating Yamaha. Makes you think.

Follow Ups: