Re: WALTER NIRSCH 6/4 OR 4/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on March 16, 2001 at 11:32:57:

In Reply to: WALTER NIRSCH 6/4 OR 4/4 posted by JOHN on March 16, 2001 at 10:08:10:

I would have to say that you are looking at two entirely different beast with different characteristics and price tags. The 6/4 has a hefty price tag (c. $17,000) but they can be well worth the money when compared to other 6/4 offerings. It has a lot of sound, rich with overtones and in my opinion is the closest copy to the original Yorks. The 4/4 is a nice horn but not quite worth the c. $9,000 price tag. It plays very similar to the average 4/4 CC. I feel you could do better with a Conn 52/56J, Meinl Weston 2145/2155 (depending on how much sound you want), a good Mirafone 188-5U, Rudy Meinly 3/4 or 4/4, the new Rudy piston, or a host of others. The best thing with the 4/4 comparison is if you get a good Conn or the likes you could save around $3,000 and use that for the purchase of a good used F or Eb, or whatever you want. The only thing I really liked about the Nirschl 4/4 is the ergonomics of the leadpipe angle and the placement of the fifth valve. However, this can be easily copied on a Conn with repositioning the leadpipe.
Good Luck,
Matt G

Follow Ups: