Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chronic Slide-Pull-emia!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 20, 2001 at 18:13:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chronic Slide-Pull-emia! posted by Randy Mac Iver on March 20, 2001 at 17:14:29:

Actually, Chaos Theory represents one alternative view to what I said. I said that things were not deterministic, meaning that some of the processes are influenced by random noise. These stochastic processes are quantified using probability mathematics, which is just a way to write down the randomness of the process.

Chaos Theory suggests, contrary to its name, that there are no random processes, but that all processes are at their root deterministic. But the root is so much deeper than we can understand that we cannot define the rules but we can only wrap them up in a probability envelope.

Sensitive dependency means that a slight variation in the starting point can change the behavior of one of those rules, with the effect that all that follows takes a completely different course. Following this logic in tubas, it might mean that the shape of my mouth and throat, which is a resonant chamber upstream from the buzz, affects the sound pressure waves downstream from the buzz in ways that cause radically different results.

Whether chance or so-called chaos, we don't know all of what happens, which is why so many discussions on this forum necessarily lead to the sentence, "Try them out and see which one works best for you."

I agree with another poster who suggested that one reason a horn is thought a pro horn is because it is easy to steer. This was Joe S's great compliment of the Chicago York. I suspect that most folks who routinely pull slides do so because they have been trained to do so and it is now habit. I've taken myself out of that habit to no great damage, at least no damage that I notice.

Rick "who nevertheless pushes in to tune the solo G in his upcoming performance of American in Paris" Denney

Follow Ups: