Re: Bah! ITEA. TUBA was a cool name

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubatheorist on March 22, 2001 at 12:43:12:

In Reply to: Bah! ITEA. TUBA was a cool name posted by TubaTiger on March 22, 2001 at 01:02:43:

Gotta get involved... couldn't resist this one! I apologize in advance for rambling...
I really dug the name TUBA. Never once did I take offense to the word "Brotherhood." Think of the song America the Beautiful, I doubt it was written expressly to offend females. Brotherhood, in my mind, equates to togetherness.
Nevertheless, I understand the need to be "PC" these days, and with the tuba-euphonium community always expanding, I understand how the powers-that-be might want to not be perceived as being gender-biased. (Especially with females on board.) I also understand the need to recognize our euphonium player colleagues, perhaps more importantly. But couldn't it have been modified in a more creative way? Someone had to think up the acronym TUBA, so couldn't there have been something better than a name with initials already thrice used by other organizations? Also, TUBA was so unique, because in looking at the other brass groups, they're all "I's" too... ITG, ITA, IHS... and so on. We were the definite originals! Now we blend in better...
No disrespect intended toward the "decision makers" here, I know this was a widely deliberated issue. Perhaps we as the population of the TUBA community didn't become involved enough? I don't know, just hypothesizing... how many people sent in suggestions or even voted officially? Honestly, I didn't, so I don't have a right to complain. Then again, if no results are issued, how will we know?
This "debate" comes at an intersting time, because in attempting to access the TUBA website last night, I typed in ITEA just for kicks. And while I did find the other ITEAs, I have to admit it wasn't quite as fun as what you find when looking for NABBA (North American Brass Band Association.) If you enter .com instead of .org there, you get North American Body Builders' Association. (Hey, I didn't mind! (: )
But anyway, I understand both sides of the argument. It would be nice to see statistics, so maybe someone could mention that in one of the open board meetings at ITEC this summer? i guess in summary, I stand in the middle, leaning towards TUBA,or something equally ingenious.
Just felt like venting my opinion... sorry this is so lengthy, I can't resist a good debate!

Follow Ups: