Re: Did I just piss away my money

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by cat on March 23, 2001 at 15:11:41:

In Reply to: Did I just piss away my money posted by T.U.B.A. member? on March 22, 2001 at 21:06:34:

With regards to the journal... Sometimes the "academic-type" crowd is the target audience. Upon a closer look, however, articles targeting amateurs, students of all ages, historical instrument enthusiasts, etc. are also included.
While I was an undergrad, most of the journal meant little to me. Then I attended my first conference and realized what the tuba world was. The journal gives us all access to that. I enjoy seeing what my peers, teachers, mentors, and the younger generations are up to these days. Especially for those that are not in the midst of "tuba mecca", the exposure (even through print) is benficial.
But is the entire purpose of the organization the journal? Not to belittle the reasons for joining, but it's almost like joining a union. At least for members of the academic community, joining professional organizations it seems is just (or should be) a part of the routine. But i believe everyone can reap the benefits... if you love the tuba or euphonium, then join.
Just a suggestion, perhaps if some of the amateurs, or students, feel there is nothing here for them, they could contribute to something designed specifically for their demographic. There are plenty of intelligent, motivated tuba players out there, so why don't we work together to improve?
This BBS is a great source, I agree wholeheartedly with the "online 24-7 conference" analogy. (Thanks Sean!) So why don't some of us here band together and create some suggestions to submit to the Board? They are willing to listen, so we could give it a try...

Follow Ups: